I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse with my Hubby Joe, work full time night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit, have a small Craft Business on the side and I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!


" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......


My One Little Word for 2014 is ME!!
Please click HERE to read about why I chose this word!!


PLEASE CLICK HERE to read Why I Returned to Blogging after a Break.....


Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Year in Review and My One Little Word for 2013

Well, here it is ....

The end of 2012 and the beginning of a brand new year, 2013!!

Let's look back on 2012 first, shall we?

I had really good intentions in the beginning of the year .

I wanted 2012 to be my most organized year ever.   My One Little Word for 2012 was TIME.
I felt that by becoming more organized, I would have more TIME to do the things I loved to do with the people that meant the most to me.

So I started with creating a Christmas Planner for the next season.....
Here is my Christmas Planner......
In the beginning of Jan., I took down Christmas decorations and converted some over to Winter and Valentine's Day decorations....

The Front Porch decorated for Winter....

My Kitchen Winter Bird Tree....
At the end of Jan., I knew something was not right. I kept getting this pain in my left side as if a fist was stuck there and it got worse when I would try to eat.

My Living Room Valentine's Day Tree...
Finally after putting it off for a week, I went to the ED which for me was a fate worse than death as I had been there so many times before over the past few years..
All tests were negative so I was sent home but that started 4 months of Dr.'s visits, many tests and more Dr.'s visits.
I could not eat and lost 17 pounds which was a good thing but not the way I did it.

My Dining Room Valentine's Day Tree....
Meanwhile, I willed myself to go to work, come home and decorate our home for the Winter Holidays and then collapse into bed. I had no energy.....

And the TIME that I so wanted , slipped away from me.....

My Den Valentine's Day tree...
Along the way, they also found that in addition to IBS, I had antibodies destroying my thyroid causing me to be hypothyroid.
Ornaments I made for Valentine's Day.....
That actually explained a lot of my problems....

I continued to decorate my department at work and made wreaths for each Holiday....
My St. Patrick's Day tree in the Den....


Finally after being put on medication, I started to feel better.

My Living Room Easter Tree.....

My Dining Room Easter Tree and Village....
  This wreath was a hit at work and I was taking orders for it.  Before I know it, I would be taking orders for wreaths for every Holiday....
My energy was returning and my stomach issues were getting better.....

We had a very warm Spring so we bought new furniture for the  Front Porch  so we could enJOY sitting out there......

Finally, everything was in bloom again.......


































Joe was having his own health issues too....

After several months of treating Planter Warts on both feet with acid, he needed to have surgery.....

He  was off from work for 10 weeks because he is a Letter Carrier for the U.S. Postal Service and walks all day......

Patriotic Living Room Tree
I made 30 of these wreaths!!

Beach Wreaths.......

 My perennials were stating to bloom in my little Cottage Garden.......





We had a lot of fun  and enJOYed watching the birds in our neighborhood.....

The back yard was filling in nicely.....

With me finally feeling better and with Joe being able to now move around, we got the patio cleaned up and ready for Summer........

And the front porch too.....
We did spend quite a bit of time on the front porch and enJOYed many beautiful sunsets.....













 We continued to enJOY the little critters around our house.....
 There were some projects that I had been putting off and with Joe being home from work, it was the perfect time to take advantage of that.......

I had wanted to refinish this china cupboard since my neighbor gave it to me several years ago.....
 After Joe sanded it down, I refinished it in a Shabby chic look.....

I was thrilled with how it came out....
I enJOYed spending time out in the back yard in the evening.....
I decided it was time to do a project that I had dreamed of doing for years......

I painted a brick floor on the concrete of my patio.....
See the difference......
And now finished......
The faux brick patio floor became one of my Top Ten posts for 2012!!

Encouraged by how the china cupboard came out and inspired by what I saw fellow bloggers do, I decided to refinish 2 tables that Joe had bought at a Flea Market for $6.00!
I stained the top and left the marble insert as is.....
Then after finding the border that I ordered on Ebay about 6 years ago ( I forgot where I put it), Joe and I repainted the Den and added the new border.....
The refinished tables and china cupboard looked great in the room.....
 We actually enJOYed doing it together and didn't kill each other!!!

Decorated the Front Porch for the July 4th Holiday.....

Inspired by my success with painting the patio floor, I spray painted the brick walkways in the back yard with a Rustoleum Primer to freshen them up a bit......

I spruced up my Craft Room and shared it with all of you for the annual Where Women Create Blogger event.....

My Summer Tea Cup and Rose tree.....



Joe is such a good sport about letting me do whatever I want to do in the house so I decided to create a Manly Dresser for him!!
Still kept it in the Victorian style that I love......
Also inspired by fellow Bloggers, I decided to pretty up my computer armoire so I would not have to shut the doors every time company came.....

 Another one of my favorite projects was refinishing these Sewing Machine drawers that I bought at a local Antique Co Op........
 


 More critters visited with me ......

Yep, that is a Ground Hog looking in the Den window at me while I was on the computer!!!!

 After buying this little shelf at Salvation Army for $10 and decoupaging it, I decided to use it on my Craft Table.
Joe then cut a board to place on top of the table , making it larger for me and creating a much bigger work space.......
 This table was a great dumpster find after my neighbor threw her Grandmother's table in our dumpster but then called me to tell me to take it out of there if I wanted it.....
It found a home in my Dining Room.......
More sunsets enJOYed from the Front Porch.......
I really enJOYed browsing Thrift Shops and walked away with some amazing finds and these were my best ones....

A Set of Moss Rose dishes for $10.99.....

 And the BEST buy ever was this set of Blue transferware dishes for $36.00
The post featuring these two buys also became one of my Top Ten Posts!!
I was really feeling a lot better and had my energy back so I decided it was time to create a "Pretty Bathroom" upstairs.....
The boys had been gone out on their own for a few years now and this was the bathroom that they mainly used.
I repainted it and added more border to the existing border in true Victorian Style .......
And really prettied it up so now I have a "Pretty Bathroom"!!
 I did enJOY creating some things for this bathroom.......

 I made the valance from a tablecloth......
 And then using the same tablecloth to create some accessories......


 See the night light?????
 I just couldn't stop myself and decided to redo this little table too.....
I decoupaged pages from an old book on top.....
Fall was coming and I looked at this little wagon that I had for several years out in the front flower bed filled with pumpkins.
I decided it was time to give it new life.....
I liked it so much that I decided to display it inside the house and not outside....
My Autumn Living Room tree.....

My Autumn Village.....
We enJOYed the view from our Front Porch.....
Of course, I decorated the Front Porch for Fall and Autumn.....


Made and sold  more wreaths.......


EnJOYed the last warm days on the patio.....

Went a bit crazy with Halloween decorations.....
My Dining Room Halloween Tree and Village.....
Minerva as a Skeleton Lady......
And More wreaths.....
 I enJOY decorating my Victorian Doll House....
 Then Joe got his big TV and I got the TV stand that I wanted so I would not have a Big Black Box in my Living Room....
 Even though Joe was thrilled, it lead to rearranging and moving furniture in 4 rooms!!!!!!
 This all started when our stove caught fire and we needed to buy a new one.......
 Then it turned into a case of the "Might as Wells" and we also bought a new refrigerator....
 And a new 32 inch TV that was supposed to be for the Living Room ( Joe wanted a bigger TV) ended up in our Bedroom with the old TV Stand from the Living Room.....
 I crafted my heart out for several weeks to be ready for the 2 November Craft Fairs that I do annually....
 And then I started the Christmas decorating but I was behind this year.....

Again, TIME had slipped away from me....
 I finally got finished and ended up with 19 trees but I was exhausted from being behind schedule.....
I did get to use the Christmas Planner that I started this post with but not to the extent that I initially thought I would......
So.............

That was my year of 2012 in review....

My One Little Word for 2012 was TIME....

However, TIME got away from me this past year.....

So I think that I set my expectations way too high.......

2013......

Health issues will once again be forever present as for the past few months, we have been treating Joe's returning Plantar Warts again with acid and are looking into further treatment options....

I need to have repeat studies done in Feb. in regards to my Thyroid....
I continue to need injections in my right knee to enable me to walk without pain.
 I have to watch everything that I eat due to IBS.......

So I have thought long and hard about what my word will be for 2013.....

I have already showed you it in this post.....

You may have thought it was a typo error........

Even with all the problems we had last year, I did manage to enJOY the things and the people that made me Happy( Happy was my Word for 2011)........
 So I chose JOY as my One Little Word for 2013!

Did you see it in this post????  LOL!!

I am not setting any goals or listing any projects for this year.
I am simply going to try to find JOY in whatever this coming year will bring.....

 JOY in my Family , JOY in my Friends and JOY in my Home!!

I will even see the Joy in the beauty of this snow that we are now getting!!

Do you see how much more snow there is in the pic below compared to the first pics???
A 1-4 inch prediction of snow turned into 6 inches of snow!!!!!
 So JOY is my One Little Word for 2013......Have you picked a Word of your own?

Wishing you a very HEALTHY and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

I am linking up to these parties:
 
Weekend ShowOff Party
Saturday Nite Special
Pink Saturday
 Strut Your Stuff Saturdays
One Great Idea Saturday Party
 
Seasonal Sunday
Sunday's Best
Sunny Simple Sundays
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
Sunday SHOW-licious Craft Showcase 
Clever Chicks Blog Hop

Masterpiece Monday
Blue Monday
Mod Vintage Mix Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Make It Pretty Monday
Mop It Up Mondays
 DIY Project Parade

Cowgirl Up! Creative Linky Party
Knick of Time Tuesday
You're Gonna Love It Tuesdays
Tabletop Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Tweak It Tuesdays
Totally Transformed Tuesdays 
Show Me What You Got Tuesdays
Tout It Tuesdays

All Star Blogger Block Party
What's It Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Rednesday
Winter Blues Wednesday Party
Wednesdays Adorned From Above Linky Party
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays
HOME Party on Wednesdays
Welcome Home Wednesday Party
Wallis Farms Daily Walk Link Party

DIY Holiday Highlights
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursdays
Show Off Your Stuff Party on Thursdays
Home and Garden Party Thursday
Share your Creations Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Transformation Thursday
Inspired Creations Linky Party
Time Travel Thursday
 Open House Party
Everything But The Kitchen Sink

Home Sweet Home Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Thrifty Things Friday
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Tickled Pink Party
Inspire Me Fridays 
 Flaunt It Fridays 
Fall into the Holidays
Fabulous Fridays



Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and every day that you take the time to visit with me!

Hugs,
Debbie

31 comments:

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Oh my Debbie it was wonderful to travel back in time with you on 2012. I can't believe what you get done in a day let alone in a year. One of my most favorite posts was your brick stamped patio, looks so good. I hope this year brings a healthier one for both you and Joe. I have also been having health issues so I understand. I love your word for 2013, and will use that as mine too, Joy, finding the joy in everything I do. Happy New Years!

Penny Phillips said...

I love your word for 2013! Have not ever chosen one before, so I will give it some thought! I enJOYed seeing your Valentine and Easter posts... since I was not blogging then, they were new to me. You've inspired me to leave some of my tree's up and decorate them for other holidays, I haven't ever done that! Have a wonderful New Year! Hugs, Penny

Lynn Crum said...

It`s always evident the amount of things you can accomplish in one day, but when I look back at your year in review, I feel like the laziest person on the planet :/ If only we could clone YOU!

The second I saw your first "enJOY", I knew your word for 2013 would be JOY. I am so glad you chose that word. I want you to be able to get as much JOY from the things you do, as the JOY you bring to each of us.

My word for 2012 is going to be "Present". I am going to put the past behind,not worry about the future and spend each day in the PRESENT.

Happy Near Year To You And Your Family!

NanaDiana said...

Debbie= You had quite a big year, didn't you? I love that you had to rearrange 4 rooms for the new TV....lol...I bet Joe WAS thrilled!
You exude JOY-so I think that is the perfect word for you for the year- Blessings-xo Diana

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Debbie, you had a very productive year and accomplished so many things that my head spins. I wish I could do 1/3 of what you do. I always remember when you painted your patio. Is it holding up well. Hope you and hubby have a better health year in 2013 and I did see the joy in all that you do. I remember Tasha Tudor used that word once when describing her life. It's a very good word..Happy New Year..Judy

Carol L McKenna said...

Wow! You have had a very creative and productive year despite your health issues and your husbands ~ do hope you are all on the mend ~ Congrats on all the beautiful creations and photography is awesome ~

(A Creative Harbor ~ aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^)

Rox said...

I think you did great with the word TIME! I would not have gotten that much done in one year even if I was feeling well. I choose a word yearly also. My word for 2013 is HOPE. Enjoyed reading about your year. Dropping by from Bouquet of Talent!

Shannon @ A Cozy Place Called Home said...

Looks like you had a lot of time to accomplish so much this past year. It still amazes me all you get done while you are working the hours you do. I loved seeing all your crafts and home decor again. I hope this coming year will be a batter year healthwise for you both. Happy New Year and thanks for visiting by blog!

Beth said...

I really enJOYed your post, Debbie. I think you accomplished a great deal and I think you successfully used your TIME. There are always going to be things that come up, changes of plans. That's life. May 2013 bring you and your family much JOY, as well as health, hope, peace, and prosperity!

Kathy Moody said...

Wow, you had a very busy year! I so enjoyed seeing all of your lovely photos. You accomplish so much with your TIME!

I have missed you! So glad to be back to my regular routine after Christmas.

Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent!

Wishing you a very Happy New Year and looking forward to seeing what you create in 2013! I know it will be amazing!! :)

Kathy

GinaBVictorian said...

Hi Debbie! Great post! I just love all the ways you decorate your trees for the different holidays/seasons. I like them all but really like the Easter ones and the 4th of July one. I didn't see a Marti Gras one. (I don't celebrate Marti Gras with all it's wildness but last year at Micheal's they had some great Mardi Gras decorations, so I'm ready this year! Maybe I'll do a post on that soon.) The robin with her babies is such a sweet photo, how fun it must have been to watch the babies grow up and leave the nest. Have a blessed 2013! Gina

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Debbie each time I visit you bring me JOY ! If I wasn't exhausted from 2012 I am now that I read allll that you did.
Wishing you many blessings in the new year and pray that all your and your Sweetie's health problems get resolved.
(())

Full Circle Creations said...

Great year in review and what a perfect word for this year. I do hope you find the Joy in your life. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

Holly

The Quiet Mom said...

You are a fabulous homemaker!

Hopping by and following your NB and Pinterest.

Blogging @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils

Vikki Wallis said...

Love your blog! I would love for you to visit my linky party going on now at http://wallisfarmsdailywalk.blogspot.com/2013/01/blog-post.html

Have a great day!

Deb Hen said...

Wow...you are one busy gal!!!!! I have had lots of issues with anxiety....my new mantra...CHOOSE JOY!!!! I Joy and Peace are my words for 2013 and I pray the Lord grants this for you as well!!! Hope you and your hubby are feeling better soon....Happy New Year!!! Deb Vintage On A Dime

Jan said...

Hi Debbie,

Joy is a good word. 2012 was a year filled with trials and tribulations, but with the love and support of our family and friends we can and have got through it. I hope that 2013 brings easier and happier times for you and all of us.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Thank you for the fascinating stroll through 2012. Your abundance of energy is quite impressive. I wish you good health and happiness in 2013, which ought to contribute to the JOY you seek and deserve.

Jeanne said...

Hello Debbie, You sure had quite a year. Your seasonal trees are stunning. I have to say how inspired I am at all you accomplished in 2012. In spite of being ill. Your garden and porches are lovely and you are very talented refinishing furniture. I think you would try anything.

Thank you for a terrific post for the year 2012.

wishing you a wonderful 2013.
xo, Jeanne

LV said...

What a lovely way to close out the old year, taking a tour of your lovely home. It is my greatest wish for you and family to have a very blessed and healthy 2013.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wow what a year! You still managed to do so much! I hope your health issues get resolved in 2013! I did figure out your one little word (great hints) but it was easy for me since it's the same word I've chosen for this year! JOY it is! Hugs, Linda

tibby said...

I love the brick floor and the wagon :-)
XOXO
Cris

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Amen, Debbie! I love that Joy is your 2013 word. Many blessings and renewed health for you and Joe! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House! Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Jody and Stan said...

Debbie, Thank you for all your inspirational posts this past year. I loved reading all your stories and seeing all your gorgeous photos of your beautiful home. You have inspired so many bloggers and I'm looking forward to more wonderful posts in the New Year! Thank you for always sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Jody

Libby said...

Oh my goodness, Debby, I was exhausted when I finished your post. You were a very busy, industrious, not to mention productive lady in 2012 on top of all the health issues. I can't even imagine. It appears that you also found JOY in last year as well, and that is an example we all should follow. Thanks for the encouragement to seek JOY in all circumstances. I belive as followers of Christ, that is a mandate. Thank you for sharing.

Diann said...

Oh thank you for taking us back in time with you to revisit all your beautiful and fun posts!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Dear Debbie I had to come over and see your post on "JOY" and I truly enJOYed it! :)

Laura Joseph said...

Thank you for sharing your post on why you chose the word Joy for 2013. I was intrigued because that is the word that I chose for this year too. I felt as though I was not enjoying my life to the fullest and so my was to see the joy in all things, be joyful, and bring joy to others. It has made a difference for me.

Kara said...

I used to choose something special that I wanted to work on...such as enjoying my family more or something like that. I haven't done that in quite a few years. You have inspired me to do it again next year.

srpprcrftr said...

HI Debbie I just found your blog thru the party sharing their posts. I enjoy going thru those so much it takes me all night then of course I have to leave a comment.
I have to say I sincerely enjoyed your posts so much, seeing all the excellent photos you take. You wore me out thinking of all you do, whew, you are one ambitious lady. For having hypothyroidism you make a liar out of supposed symptoms said about folks like us.
I was born with hypothyroidism, was born a month later than I was supposed to be. My poor Mother, in the heat of Cleveland, OH. I was six weeks old before my pediatrician realized what was wrong. This was in 1940 so not a lot known about that condition. I have had other health issues thru life associated with hypothyroidism, but mostly haven't let them slow me down too much. I don't have the energy you seem to have but I don't do too badly. I had a thyroidectomy when it was discovered I had a goiter. I was 23 yrs. old and 2 months pregnant with my 3rd. child.
Doc wasn't too happy when he found out I was pregnant but with two small children at home already, one of them 9 months old, I just went for it. My exhusband was no Mr. helpful, lol.
Probably the worst problem I've have is depression and anxiety which wasn't found/diagnosed til I was 54 yrs. old. Not enuf was known about that problem either in those days.
I am very glad to have found your blog and will subscribe if I can find the spot to do it. Really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing all your great photos, seeing a little into your life.
I married again and have 4 kids, 3 from first hubs and one from present hubs, will be 45 yrs, for us at end of this month, yeahoo. we made it, lol.
My Dad was from PA, Sheffield or close to it. The last time we went to visit his Mom/step Dad the street they lived on was still a dirt road and a woods at end of it about a block away.
Sorry for taking up your time. HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Mary @ Ms. Redo said...

Debbie, wow! What a fabulous year decorating and bringing JOY to your life by surrounding yourself with so much beauty. Sorry to hear about your thyroid and IBS (I have that monster as well), but hope this year finds you improving, also your husband's problem with his feet. Happy New Year to you and yours ~ Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where Bloggers Create 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2012
July 14th, 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2013

Where Bloggers Create 2013
July 12th, 2013!

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball
March 11th,2013